Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh the Places I've Been

Thanks to my job I get to travel a pretty good bit. Over the last three years I have been to the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area multiple times, Orlando, FL multiple times, Washington, DC, Fort Worth, TX a couple of times, Fort Walton Beach a couple of times, Nashville, TN a couple of times and the UK.

Hodges-Nix European Vacation

Last summer I had the opportunity to go to Yeovil, UK to visit a customer. It was a wonderful trip full of fun new experiences. Mom and Dad actually went with me and we had a wonderful time. The first new experience was driving on the other side of the road which took a lot of concentration. The roundabouts were also very confusing until I got the hang of it. It was a long drive to Yeovil but well worth it. On the way to Yeovil we drove past Stonehenge which is amazing. Yeovil is a quiet little town in the country with their main industry being Agusta Westland which manufactures helicopters.


The British were very good hosts and provided a social evening for us and included my parents. During the social evening I had another new experience. We played a game called Skittles. The following is a quick description I pulled off the internet: Skittles or Nine Pins has long been played in the Inns of England. In general, players take turns to throw wooden balls down a lane at the end of which are several wooden skittles in an attempt to knock them all over. The following pictures are of the Skittles experience.

I so enjoyed the countryside. It is just so neat to drive past all of these hedges and then suddenly there is an opening and inside is another little town.

The first photo is of a clock in downtown Yeovil. It was kind of a marker to remind me which direction I was going. The second photo is of our Bed and Breakfast where we stayed for the first half of our trip.

While at the below pub myself and a co-worker had a "ghostly" experience. While chatting and enjoying a brew she and I both saw a menu sitting upright on a table slide from one end of the table to the other. We both looked at each other and both said "Did you see that?" I am sure this occurrence can be explained away but I will always believe it was an encounter of a different kind!

One evening we drove to Lyme Regis which is a beautiful coastal town.


Once the work part of my trip was over we spent the rest of our trip exploring London. We stayed at a beautiful hotel which was close to several of the sights. We saw Big Ben, the Tower of London, London Bridge and Westminster Abbey just to name a few. Dad and I rode the London Eye which provided a beautiful view of London. The first pic is of Mom and I in front of Westminster Abbey. The second pic is of our hotel...it was right beside the London Eye! The third pic is Big Ben...something about this always makes me think of Peter Pan and how magical fairy tales are to little girls.



Since I am a child of the 80s we saw Dirty Dancing in the Theatre. I really enjoyed the show but in my mind I kept reviewing the movie (that I have watched more times than I can count) and thinking "that's not the way Johnny or Baby said it in the movie."


The only part of England that I did not enjoy was the food. My stomach did not have a good time abroad.

One Year Anniversary

For our one year anniversary Brandon came along with me on a work trip to Arizona. After the work was over we spent the rest of our time visiting the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and Sedona.

The Grand Canyon was amazing. It is more expansive than you could ever imagine. It is one of those things you just have to see for yourself. I do not know how to describe it but we had a wonderful trip...I will let the pictures speak for themselves.






When the sun began to set the views became magical.







And finally because we could not believe it ourselves...Cotton Fields in Arizona!

No comments:

Post a Comment